Thursday 21 July 2011

White Noise

What's up with white noise? Seriously? Do parents really enjoy finding more habits to break their kids from later? Why would anyone introduce something that will just need to be taken away later. Or set your kid up to be an adult with sleep issues. There are so many machines on the market that will mimic the womb (my personal favorite), rain fall, white noise, crickets. 'Sound therapy' they call it. If you get your kid used to sleeping to these noises, won't it be a hard habit to break later? Poor babies. 'Here is a bunch of weirdo noise for you to sleep until I decide you don't need it anymore. Then good luck getting a good night's sleep!' I'm sure they will be teens before the sound is finally taken away.
Where was my white noise when I was a baby? I'm sure my generation and older dealt with falling asleep without it. God-I can fall asleep with a parade going by. As a kid, I would sleep at wedding receptions, parties, anywhere!
I think the problem  here is parents don't want to deal with the crying (ok, I get that) and white noise is a quick fix. I'm not interested in hauling a machine around with me just so my kid can sleep away from home because you know that has to happen for the white noise addicted. And I'm not the type of parent that will ONLY put my baby to sleep in his own crib. He's pretty portable, and will stay that way. What's next? Baby sleep masks??

1 comment:

  1. Why do I feel personally connected to this issue? ;)

    ReplyDelete